The Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) are a collection of 17 global goals designed to be a "blueprint to achieve a better and more sustainable future for all". The SDGs, set in 2015 by the United Nations General Assembly and intended to be achieved by the year 2030, are part of UN Resolution 70/1, the 2030 Agenda.
IIL & ISL take great pride in being responsible corporate citizens. By aligning with and measuring our activities against the United Nation’s Sustainable Development Goals (SDG’s), we reaffirm our commitment to adopting sustainable practices and providing multi-faceted, positive contributions to the communities in which we operate and in society at large.
We have aligned 14 SDGs against 7 broader sustainability principles as outlined in the figure below.
- IIL and ISL are ISO 45001 (Occupational Health and Safety) certified.
- IIL and ISL factories & offices entail more than adequate basic services such as well-managed water and sanitation services, safe work environments, separate dining & prayer areas and recreational facilities.
- A doctor and a paramedical assistant are present in the factory 6 days a week on a part time basis to facilitate employees.
- Monthly safety walks are conducted and trophies are distributed to deserving departments. Sessions on road and fire safety are routinely conducted.
- There have been no complaints related to medical or welfare benefits.
- Lost Time Injury Frequency Rate (LTIFR) recorded during the year was 0.64 per one million worked hours for IIL and 0.72 per one million worked hours for ISL.
- No infectious disease reported in the factory or office premises.
- During the year 470 health and safety trainings were organized by the IIL OHSE Department.
- Anti-mosquito spray conducted twice daily to reduce the chance of mosquito borne diseases.
- Motorcycle helmets have been distributed to all permanent, service provider staff and junior management staff.
- Well-equipped gyms are available for employee use at the ISL factory and IIL factory 1.
- Various recreational activities are conducted on an annual basis: Long Service Awards, Managers Dinners, Employee Theatre Nights, Corporate Family Days Out, Employees picnic, Participation in Group Cricket Tournament.
- For creating HSE awareness company organized guest speaker sessions for employees.
- IIL & ISL provide secure workplaces with canteens, parking facilities, medical and incidental insurance cover and freedom for people to express their concerns and/or grievances.
- Human resources policies are available on company intranet and are regularly reviewed, updated and circulated to employees.
- Installation of a zinc reclamation unit in 2008 ensures zero generation of smoke and dust during the zinc recovery process, hence reducing the emission impact on workers and the environment.
- IIL has upgraded its galvanizing plants to control zinc powder in the environment and thereby secure the health of workers. By making this modification, zinc powder collection has already been increased by 2%.
- The pickling process uses Hydrochloric (HCL) acid to remove surface impurities from hot rolled coils. Direct disposal of the contaminated acid poses a threat to the environment, therefore ISL’s Acid Regeneration Plant (ARP) recycles and reconditions Hydrochloric acid from the pickling line, making 98% of the acid reusable.
- Our policy on Health & Safety is rigorously followed for wearing personal protective equipment such as safety gloves, shoes, and helmets for factory workers and staff is rigorously enforced. Motorcycle helmets were also provided to SNGPL staff at Uch Sharif and Mangla Mandi as part of our commitment to health and safety.